CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
UAE’s Sharjah issues first gold card permanent residency to Indian expat
- UAE-based Indian business tycoon Lalo Samuel has become the first expat in Sharjah to get the gold card permanent residency.
- Unlike the long-term visa of 5-10 years for businessmen and talented individuals, the gold card gives permanent residency of the UAE to the holder.
- Samuel, who was selected as one of the top 100 Most Influential Indian Business Leaders in the Arab World by the Forbes magazine continuously for 2013, 2014 and 2015, became one of the 6,800 investors with total investment exceeding USD 27 billion to receive the gold card under a scheme announced in May by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the ruler of Dubai.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: STATE
U’khand CM accepts proposal to establish Six Sigma Institute of Mountain Medicines & High Altitude Rescue
- uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat agreed to a proposal to establish Asia’s first Six Sigma Institute of Mountain Medicines and High Altitude Rescue at Rudraprayag.
- This mountain institute will create 1,200 employment, Specialised healthcare, advance education and Rescue Training in the Uttarakhand.
- Medical screening of Yatris and Empanelment of the Hospitals across the country for medical checks. Establishment of Bhandara for better food services in the Kedarnath Yatra. Provision of Air Ambulances for Emergencies. Increase of the Hospital bed strength at Kedarnath and Permanent Medical Post at Tungnath and Madhymaheshwar.
|Chief Minister||Trivendra Singh Rawat|
|Governor||Baby Rani Maurya|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BANKING AND FINANCE
RBI board finalises ‘Utkarsh 2022’
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) board, which met in New Delhi, finalised a three- year roadmap to improve regulation and supervision, among other functions of the central bank.
- This medium term strategy — named Utkarsh 2022 — is in line with the global central banks’ plan to strengthen the regulatory and supervisory mechanism.
- To identify issues that needed to be addressed over the next three years, an internal committee was formed. It was headed by outgoing Deputy Governor Viral Acharya.
|RBI Governor||Shaktikant Das|
|RBI Deputy Governor||BP Kanungo, N S Vishwanathan, and Mahesh Kumar Jain|
Cost of Rs 2000 note falls 65 paise per piece in 2018-19
- The cost of a Rs 2000 currency note fell 65 paise or 18.4 per cent in 2018-19 compared to the year-ago period.
- Introduced after demonetisation in November 2016, Rs 2000 notes are printed only by the Bharatiya Reserve Bank Note Mudran Pvt Ltd (BRBNMPL) — a wholly-owned subsidiary of the RBI.
- The selling price of Rs 2000 note from the BRBNMPL was Rs 3.53 apiece in 2018-19. It declined 65 paise from Rs 4.18 apiece in 2017-18.
- The selling price of a Rs 500 note was Rs 2.13 in 2018-19, lower than Rs 2.39 in the same period a year ago.
- The selling price of Rs 200 note per piece declined to Rs 2.15 in 2018-19 compared to Rs 2.24 in 2017-18.
- The expenditure incurred on printing of currency notes rose to Rs 7,965 crore in 2017-18 (July-June) from Rs 4,912 crore in 2016-17.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
‘Gully Boy’ wins NETPAC Award at BIFAN in South Korea
- Ranveer Singh and Alia Bhatt starrer ‘Gully Boy’ has been recognised at the Bucheon International Fantastic Film Festival (BIFAN) in South Korea.
- The film directed by Zoya Akhtar was honoured with NETPAC Award for Best Asian Film.
- ‘Gully Boy’ is inspired by the lives of Mumbai street rappers Vivian Fernandes aka Divine and Naved Shaikh aka Naezy.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
BCCI appoints Rahul Dravid as Head of Cricket at National Cricket Academy
- former India captain Rahul Dravid was appointed as Head of Cricket at the National Cricket Academy (NCA).
- Dravid will oversee all cricket related activities at NCA and will be involved in mentoring, coaching, training and motivating players, coaches and support staff at the NCA
- Dravid will also work closely with the National men’s and women’s Head coaches and coaches for India Developmental teams – including India A, India Under 19, India Under 23 teams, in the identification of key training and development objectives
Lieutenant General Shailesh Sadashiv Tinaikar Takes Charge as Force Commander of UN mission in South Sudan
- Newly appointed Force Commander of the UN mission in South Sudan, Lieutenant General Shailesh Sadashiv Tinaikar assumed charge in Juba.
- After assuming the charge, the Force Commander encouraged peacekeepers to achieve their mandate and overcome difficulties with patience and perseverance.
M Nageswar Rao appointed director general of Fire Services, Civil Defence and Home Guard
- The Central government appointed M Nageswar Rao, Additional Director of CBI as the Director General of Fire Services, Civil Defence and Home Guard.
- As per the government order, he will continue to hold the post till superannuation in July 2020.
Kyriakos Mitsotakis sworn in as Greece’s new prime minister
- Kyriakos Mitsotakis has been sworn in as the new Prime Minister of Greece.
- The New Democracy party President, Mitsotakis, won a landslide over leftist Syriza led by outgoing Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras.
- Mitsotakis, 51, won 39.85 percent of the vote compared with 31.53 for Syriza, which had been in power since 2015.