CURRENT AFFAIRS: NATIONAL
File tax returns if you have foreign trips, steep electricity bills
- The government has made income tax return filing mandatory for high spenders even if their taxable income is below the threshold exemption limit of₹5 lakh.
- Those mandated to file returns include people spending more than₹2 lakh on a foreign trip or depositing ₹1 crore in a year in a bank account or paying electricity bill of more than ₹1 lakh in a year.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Sri Lanka Inaugurates First Model Village Built With Indian Assistance For War-Affected People
- A model village has been inaugurated in Sri Lanka as a part of housing project meant for civil war-affected people and estate workers with Indian assistance.
- A total of 2,400 houses all across Sri Lanka are to be constricted by the Sri Lankan Ministry of Housing and Construction and Cultural Affairs and India has partnered with the ministry and is providing grant of Rs 1,200 million (USD 17.5 million).
- The former President of Sri Lanka, Chandrika Bandaranayke Kumaratunga, SajithPremadasa, the Minister of Housing and Construction and Cultural Affairs, and ShilpakAmbule, the Acting High Commissioner of India, inaugurated the first model village at Ranidugama in Gampaha.
|Sri Lanka Capital||Colombo, JayawardenepuraKotte|
|Currency||Sri Lankan rupee|
World’s largest burn and plastic surgery institute started in Dhaka
- The world’s largest burn and plastic surgery institute in Dhaka started functioning.
- About 6 lakh people suffer burn injuries in Bangladesh every year who will benefit from the institute.
- Named Sheikh Hasina National Burn and Plastic Surgery Institute, the 500-bed hospital with 50 ICU and 12 operation theatres will provide advanced treatment to burn patients in Bangladesh.
- The institute has been built at a cost of over 500 crore Taka.
|Prime Minister||Sheikh Hasina|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
Tata Steel Kalinganagar joins WEF’s Global Lighthouse Network
- Tata Steel Kalinganagar (TSK) has been included in World Economic Forum’s (WEF) Global Lighthouse Network, a community of manufacturers showing leadership in applying Fourth Industrial Revolution technologies to drive financial and operational impact.
- TSK in Odisha’sJajpur district is the first and the only Indian manufacturing plant to be included in the WEF’s Lighthouse Network.
- The WEF announced the addition of 10 new factories, including TSK, to its Global Lighthouse Network.
- The factories join a network of 16 existing lighthouses across multiple geographies and industries.
- They serve as beacons to guide others to overcome challenges in upgrading systems and applying cutting-edge technologies such as artificial intelligence, big data analytics and 3D printing.
Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme 2019-20 Series II Opens For Subscription
- ccording to a latest update from the RBI, the Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme 2019-20 – Series II will be opened for subscription for the period from July 08 – July 12, 2019.
- The nominal value of the bond based on the simple average closing price [published by the India Bullion and Jewellers Association Ltd (IBJA)] for gold of 999 purity of the last three business days of the week preceding the subscription period, i.e. July 03 – July 05, 2019 works out to Rs 3,443/- (Rupees Three Thousand Four Hundred Forty Three only) per gram.
- Denomination: Minimum investment in the Bonds shall beone gram with a maximum limit of subscription per fiscal year of 4 kg for individuals, 4 kg for Hindu Undivided Family (HUF) and 20 kg for trusts
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AWARDS AND HONOURS
Genesis Foundation Awarded as CSR Implementation Partner in Leadership Category at CSR Health Impact Awards
- At the 3rd edition ofCSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) Health Impact Awards organized at Hyatt Regency in New Delhi, Genesis Foundation, a Gurgaon based Non-Profit Organization was awarded as CSR Implementation Partner in the leadership category for its association with WPP India CSR Foundation for‘Project Little Hearts’.
- It was awarded for its contribution to the treatment of underprivileged children suffering from congenital heart disorders(CHD).
- The CSR Health Impact Award recognizes and applauds organizations which have implemented health-focused CSR ventures to impact lives.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: FESTIVAL
Bonalu festival kicks off at Golconda Fort
- The annual Bonalu festival kicked off in the city at the historic Golconda Fort, Telangana.
- Bonalu is celebrated every year in a grand manner in the state during the first month of the monsoon season.
- Bonam means Meal in Telugu, and denotes offering to the Mother Goddess as a form of thanksgiving after the fulfillment of vows.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATION
LinkedIn names Ashutosh Gupta as country manager for India
- Microsoft-owned social networking site for professionals, LinkedIn, has appointed Ashutosh Gupta as the new country manager for India operations.
- Gupta will replace Mahesh Narayanan, who was the country manager for India for brief period from January-June 2019.
- Gupta will report to Olivier Legrand, LinkedIn’s managing director for Asia Pacific, and will be a part of the company’s APAC senior management team
CURRENT AFFAIRS: RANKING
‘BetiBachao, BetiPadhao’ scheme: U’khand among best performing states
- Uttarakhand has been adjudged as one of the country’s five best performing states in ‘BetiBachao, BetiPadhao’, a central scheme aimed at addressing declining child sex ratio and issues of women empowerment.
- The state will be felicitated, along with the other selected states, in recognition of its consistent performance in respect of sex ratio at birth, according to a letter from the Union Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- In addition to Uttarakhand,Haryana has bagged three awards, including one state-level and two district-level awards, for consistent performance in respect of the sex ratio at birth (SRB).
- The two districts of Haryana which won the award areBhiwani and Mahendragarh.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENCE
Indian Army to buy American howitzer ammo for long-range accurate strikes
- IndianArmy is in the process of acquiring Excalibur guided long- range artillery ammunition which can strike targets more than 50 km away.
- It can be busted in the air and after its penetration into bunker-type structures by using its different fuses.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BOOKS AND AUTHOUR
Vice PresidentReleases book titled ‘Vivekadeepini’ in ten languages
- The Vice President of India, Shri Venkaiah Naidu has released a book titled “Vivekadeepini”. It has been released in 10 languages.
- It is a book that contains facts and principles of spiritual leaders like AdiShankaracharya and Swami Vivekananda.
- The original book is written by Sri AdiShankaracharya in PrashnottaraRatnamalika (Questions and Answers).
- The conversion in different 10 languages has been done by Vedanta Bharati.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SPORTS
ParupalliKashyap Settles for Silver After Final Loss to Li Shi Feng in Canada Open
- Former Commonwealth Games champion ParupalliKashyap’s impressive run at the Canada Open Super 100 tournament came to an end after he lost a three-game thriller to China’s Li Shi Feng in the men’s singles summit clash in Calgary.
- Sixth seed Kashyap fell short by 22-20 14-21 17-21.
|Men’s Singles||Li Shi feng ( China)||ParupalliKashyap(India)|
|Women’s Singles||An Se-young (South Korea)||Wang Zhiyi (China)|
|Men’s Doubles||Mathias Boe&Mads Conrad-Petersen(Denmark)||Hiroki Okamura & Masayuki Onodera(Japan)|
|Women’s Doubles||SetyanaMapasa&Gronya Somerville(Australia)||Chang Ye-na& Kim Hye-rin(South Korea)|
|Mixed Doubles||Ko Sung-hyun&EomHye-won(South Korea)||GuoXinwa& Zhang Shuxian(China)|
Brazil beat Peru 3-1 to lift the title in Copa America
- Brazil have defeated Peru 3-1 to win their first Copa America title since 2007.
- Gabriel Jesus and Richarlison also scored a goal each for Brazil, who have won the title every time they hosted the tournament.
- Everton was named player of the final and also finished as one of the tournament’s top scorers with three goals.
- Brazil’s veteran right-back DaniAlves was player of the tournament.
USA beat Netherlands to win the FIFA Women’s World Cup
- The United States won the Women’s World Cup for a record fourth time as they eventually overpowered the Netherlands in Lyon.
- But the USA, playing in their third consecutive final, continued their reign as the world’s finest side as they added to their titles of 1991, 1999 and 2015.
- Victory for the USA saw their English-born boss Jill Ellis, from Hampshire, become the first coach to lift the trophy twice.
- Golden Boot (top scorer) – Megan Rapinoe (6 goals)
- Golden Ball (best overall player) – Megan Rapinoe (USA)
- Golden Glove (best goalkeeper) – Sari van Veenendaal (Netherlands